The upcoming Career Transition Program (CTP) for IMGs has been made possible by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to assist IMGs who are considering an alternative pathway into the Canadian health care system as a short or long-term career goal.
There are 30 seats available in the program – 15 seats designated for Calgary and 15 seats designated for Edmonton. At each location, 12 out of 15 seats are reserved for IRCC eligible members (i.e. Permanent Residents), and 3 out of 15 seats are open to all AIMGA members.
The application deadline for this program is Thursday, September 3, 2020, at 11:59 PM!
The goals of the Career Transition Program are to:
- increase IMGs’ overall knowledge and awareness of alternative career pathways through a series of employment related workshops
- provide IMGs an opportunity to meet with fellow physicians in alternative careers and to obtain feedback from employment coaches and HR consultants
- equip IMGs with the tools necessary to manage their own career paths
- arrange a 50-hour job shadowing placement in an area participants wish to pursue
Workshops will take place on the Saturdays listed below, from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm. Guest speakers and mentors will be incorporated into these workshops.
Week 1: September 19 Orientation to CTP
Week 2: September 26 Determining Your Skillset
Week 3: October 3 Mini Career Fair
Week 4: October 17 Skill-based Resume
Week 5: October 24 Networking for Success
Week 6: October 31 Interview Prep
Week 7: November 7 Mock Interview
Week 8: November 14 Importance of Teamwork
Week 9: November 21 Leadership and Conflict Management
Week 10: November 28 Factors of Success
Each participant will have three individual coaching sessions to establish a career plan and next steps. Sessions will be conducted by an employment coach or HR specialist throughout the program. The schedule will vary based on the coach/participant’s availability.
To be considered for the program, participants must meet the following requirements:
- Must be an AIMGA member in good standing
- Must be able to complete 80% of the program, which is equivalent to two absences
- Must be committed to seeking employment or enrolling in an education program related to their alternative career path within the next six months
This program is funded by IRCC as it aligns with their commitment to support Permanent Residents in Canada. If you are a Canadian citizen interested in the program, we encourage you to apply to the limited seats available funded by AIMGA.
- Thursday, September 3: Deadline to apply
- Friday, September 4-11: Interviews via Zoom
- Tuesday, September 15: Enrollment Confirmation via email
- Saturday, September 19: First Day of Class
Click here to start completing the application form.