Sample 5 (Case 11) – Medical Mistake
In this task you will view a Medical Mistake video and complete the three checklist tools introduced previously in this module: the Clinical Checklist, the Communication Checklist and the Interview Checklist.
Here’s what you need to do:
Note: the interactive versions of the checklists are below Task 1 in the Final View and Critique section of the module outline (to the right or below). The video is available on each checklist page.
There is a transcript available for this video for your reference: Case 11: Transcript (Dr. Zabal)
When you are ready to watch the video, start with the interactive version of the Clinical Checklist and complete it in real time as you watch the video.
Complete the interactive version of the Communication Checklist to evaluate the communication.
Complete the interactive version of the Interview Checklist in real time to assess the structural flow of the interview.
Write a short summary critique that includes the following:
- A description of the overall quality of the interview
- A brief commentary of the performance in terms of the Clinical, Communication and Interview checklists
- Your suggestions for changes to address any difficulties or tensions in the interview
- Your assessment of the explanation of the management plan and contingency strategies in terms of patient-centred language
- Your assessment of the effect of the following concepts on the quality of the interview:
- responsibility for the error
- privacy and confidentiality
- informed shared decision-making
- Your evaluation of the development of doctor-patient rapport in terms of: comfort, trust, engagement and attitude
Submit your final critique in the attached Reflection Log assignment.