AHS provides alternative job opportunities for those International Medical Graduates (IMGs) who are not able to obtain independent licensure and/or are unable to obtain a residency position.
A Clinical or Clinical/Surgical Assistant (CA) functions as a mid-level provider under the supervision and direction of physician supervisor(s) to provide acute care coverage in a variety of departments. Job duties often include examination of the patient, documenting the history, conducting a complete physical examination, developing a treatment plan in consultation with the attending/supervising physician, writing appropriate orders, and entering these orders into the patient care electronic or manual system. If the CA also works in the surgical ward, the CA might also provide pre- and post-operative care as well as intra-operative surgical assistance. The CA is an important member of the collaborative care team in the provision of patient care.
If the Clinical or Clinical/ Surgical Assistants continue in the current career pathway with AHS, they will remain on a Limited Practice Register Practice Permit, working under the supervision of a licensed physician.
$62,474 – $154,722
1 year Post Graduate Medical Education
- Applicant must be a Permanent Resident or Canadian Citizen
- Must possess a medical degree from a recognized medical school outside of Canada and the USA (check World Directory of Medical Schools)
- Must have passed the MCCQE1
- Proficient in English (i.e., recent IELTS Academic with minimum score of 7 in each module)
- 1-year Post Graduate Medical Education (PGME)
From AHS, as of January 2016:
- Probationary (0-6 months): $62,474
- 6-36 months: $87,915
- 36-48 months: $113,624
- 48-60 months: $141,405
- >60 months: $154,722
- Evaluate the medical degree and medical school transcripts through physiciansapply.ca
- Obtain the evidence of 1-year PGME experience from back home. Internship, Residency, Clinical Rotations, Housemanship etc. undertaken after undergraduate medical training for a minimum of one year, generally tend to meet this requirement amongst many other supervised postgraduate hands on training.
- Pass the MCCQE1 with good score
- Get 7 in each module of IELTS (academic) score.
- Meanwhile volunteering at different hospitals/doctor’s office and as observer can improve the profile
- Apply for ACSAP