AIMGA is pleased to offer MCAP (Medical Communication Assessment Program: A Preparation Program for Successful Integration into Practice), which was formerly known as our C-CRASH (Communication, Critical Reasoning, Attitude and Skills in Healthcare)/MCAP course. This course is aimed at preparing physicians for successful integration into the Canadian healthcare system. An emphasis will be placed on communication, critical reasoning, and the attitude and skills required for a patient-centred, collaborative-care model.
Face-to-face sessions are facilitated by practicing physicians and a medical communication educator, and include practice cases with standardized patients and feedback. This program is geared towards those going into practice via CaRMS or the Practice Readiness Assessment (PRA) route.
This course is for IMGs who are on the pathway to licensure via CaRMS or PRA route. IMGs who apply to the program must meet the following criteria:
- Must be an active member of AIMGA in good standing
- Must be IRCC eligible (i.e., Permanent Resident, Refugee, Temporary Resident) *
- Must have an overall score of 7.0 on the Academic version of IELTS (minimum 6.5 in any skill area) or equivalent (CLBA 8 or above)
- Must have successful completion of the MCCQE1
- Must not be out of practice for more than 4 years
- Must meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Proof of completion of NAC OSCE or registration for the upcoming exam
- LMCC or proof of registration for the upcoming MCCQE2 exam
- CPSA PRA Eligibility
* This program is made possible by funding from IRCC and therefore, we are only able to accommodate those who are IRCC eligible.
This program consists of 10 face-to-face classroom sessions. Please see the schedule below for the next intake.
Program Schedule: January to March 2020
Sessions start on January 22 and end on March 25, and will be held on Wednesdays from 6:00–9:00PM at either the AIMGA Calgary office (Room 105B, 1409 Edmonton Trail NE) or MedSkills, Health Sciences Centre, University of Calgary (3330 Hospital Drive NW).
- Session 1, AIMGA Classroom: Wednesday, January 22 from 6–9PM
- Session 2, MedSkills: Wednesday, January 29 from 6–9PM
- Session 3, AIMGA Classroom: Wednesday, February 5 from 6–9PM
- Session 4, MedSkills: Wednesday, February 12 from 6–9PM
- Session 5, AIMGA Classroom: Wednesday, February 19 from 6–9PM
- Session 6, MedSkills: Wednesday, February 26 from 6–9PM
- Session 7, MedSkills: Wednesday, March 4 from 6–9PM
- Session 8, AIMGA Classroom: Wednesday, March 11 from 6–9PM
- Session 9, AIMGA Classroom: Wednesday, March 18 from 6–9PM
- Session 10, AIMGA Classroom: Wednesday, March 25 from 6–9PM
- Any participants that miss 3 classes will automatically be withdrawn from the course. Therefore, it’s essential that you’re able to commit to the course.
The application period has now closed. Applicants will be notified of their acceptance into the program on Thursday, January 16th.