As part of your application for residency seat in Alberta, you are required to be an Alberta resident and show proof of Alberta residency (i.e., physical presence) from December 1st to May 18th.
Below please find information from from the AIMGP website along with notes regarding Option C and how AIMGA can assist you with meeting this requirement.
Applicants to the 2020 Cycle of the AIMG Program must demonstrate that they are an Albertan by ONE of the following methods:
A. Full-time attendance at an accredited Alberta senior high school for 2 or more years, at least two semesters per academic year.
B. Full-time attendance at an accredited post-secondary institution in Alberta in an undergraduate program for 2 or more years; at least two semesters per academic year.
C. Physical presence and continuously living on a day-to-day basis in the province of Alberta for the 24 weeks beginning December 1, 2018 through to May 18, 2019. Applicants using this criteria must be an Albertan: having valid Alberta government issued identification (i.e. driver’s licence, ID card), maintaining identification from no other Canadian province or territory and whose current health care benefits are funded by Alberta Health.
For option C:
There Are Four (4) Parts To This Proof:
1. Alberta Residency Statutory Declaration
AIMG Program Alberta Residency Statutory Declaration form can be found on the Forms page. Form to be completed between May 1, 2019 – June 6, 2019. All fields must be completed and the form notarized. This form will be available online on May 1, 2019.
NOTE: Applicants must have permanent resident status or citizenship in Canada prior to establishing residency in the province of Alberta.
2. Official Letter Of Employment OR Letter Prepared By An Accredited Educational Institution OR A Letter Prepared By An Eligible Guarantor
- Original signed Letter(s) of Employment on employer’s letterhead. The letter must include the date* the letter was prepared, employee’s name and address, employment status (e.g. regular, casual, contract, etc.), date of hire (must be on or before December 1, 2018), and employer’s contact information. Letters offering employment and employment contracts will NOT be accepted. A sample employment letter can be found on the Forms page.
- Original signed letter(s) prepared by an accredited educational institution on institution letterhead. The letter must include the date* the letter was prepared, applicant’s name and address, course name(s), course start and end dates (must have begun on or before December 1, 2018), and instructor’s contact information. A letter checklist can be found on the Forms page.
- Original signed letter(s) prepared by an eligible Guarantor on organization letterhead. Guarantor must be a person with recognized authority with an Alberta activity-based organization who can attest to the applicant’s participation in the organization’s activities. The letter must include the date* the letter was prepared, applicant’s name and address, and include the activity the applicant participated in, activity start and end dates (must have begun on or before December 1, 2018), organization identifiers and guarantor’s contact information. A letter checklist can be found on the Forms page.
*Letters must be dated between May 1, 2019 – June 6, 2019.
3. Alberta Operator’s Licence Or Alberta Photo Identification Card (Non-Operator’s)
Notarized copy of applicant’s valid and up-to-date Alberta Operator’s Licence OR Alberta photo identification card (non-operator’s). Card must show your current address as per Service Alberta – Update Driving documents.
NOTE: Interim licences or interim ID cards will NOT be accepted.
4. Alberta Personal Health Card
Notarized copy of the applicant’s valid Alberta Personal Health Card. Applicant must be currently eligible for Alberta Health Care Insurance coverage.
For AIMGA members using option C:
AIMGA will require your membership to remain active and will track your participation in AIMGA activities as of November 2018 to May 2019. We will also have letters signed by an eligible guarantor as requested. Please stop in during office hours (8:30AM to 4:30PM) prior to December 20th in either the Calgary or Edmonton office to do the following:
- Introduce yourself and let an AIMGA staff member know that you plan to apply for the 2020 AIMGP cycle and that you wish for us to track your attendance and participation in AIMGA events as of November 2018 for this purpose.
- Show a piece of government-issued ID that shows the name you will use for your application to AIMGP (we will take a copy of this and create a file for you).
- Either supply a photo or get a photo taken (similar to a passport photo) for us to include in your file for internal identification purposes.
As you’re aware, we have various courses, study groups, and networking sessions taking place monthly.
Please call our office or visit our website for upcoming courses. We look forward to seeing you at our offices and to supporting you in your CaRMS application and preparing you for integration into the Canadian healthcare system.