The upcoming Career Transition Program (CTP) for IMGs has been made possible by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to assist IMGs who are considering an alternative pathway into the Canadian health care system as a short or long-term career goal. There are 15 seats available in the program. These seats are open to IRCC eligible members (i.e. Permanent Residents).
The application deadline for this program is December 15, 2019, at 11:59 PM!
The goals of the Career Transition Program are to:
- increase IMGs’ overall knowledge and awareness of alternative career pathways through a series of employment related workshops
- provide IMGs an opportunity to meet with fellow physicians in alternative careers and to obtain feedback from employment coaches and HR consultants
- equip IMGs with the tools necessary to manage their own career paths
- arrange a 50-hour job shadowing placement in an area participants wish to pursue
Workshops will take place on the Saturdays listed below, from 9:30 am to 2:30 pm. Guest speakers and mentors will be incorporated into these workshops.
Week 1: Saturday, January 11
Week 2: Saturday, January 18
Week 3: Saturday, January 25
Week 4: Saturday, February 1
Week 5: Saturday, February 8
Week 6: Saturday, February 22
Week 7: Saturday, February 29
Week 8: Saturday, March 7
Week 9: Saturday, March 14
Week 10: Saturday, March 21
Each participant will have two individual coaching sessions to establish a career plan and next steps. Sessions will be conducted by an employment coach or HR specialist throughout the program. The schedule will vary based on the coach/participant’s availability.
Each participant will have the opportunity to complete a 50-hour job shadowing placement to explore an area of interest. Schedules and times will vary and are based on the host/participant’s availability.
To be considered for the program, participants must meet the following requirements:
- Must be an AIMGA member in good standing
- Must be IRCC eligible (i.e., Permanent Resident)
- Must be able to complete 80% of the program, which is equivalent to two absences
- Must be committed to seeking employment or enrolling in an education program related to their alternative career path within the next six months
This program is funded by IRCC as it aligns with their commitment to support Permanent Residents in Canada. If you are a Canadian citizen interested in the program, we encourage you to apply and we will assess if we can fund your seat via other means.
- December 15:
- Deadline to apply
- December 16 to 18:
- 45-minute interviews will take place via Skype or in-person
- December 19:
- Confirmation emails of acceptance to be sent out
Click here to start completing the application form.