The upcoming Career Transition Program (CTP) for IMGs has been made possible by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to assist IMGs who are considering an alternative pathway into the Canadian health care system as a short or long-term career goal. There are 15 seats available in the program. These seats are open to IRCC eligible members (i.e. Permanent Residents).
The application deadline for this program is September 17, 2019, at 11:59 AM!
The goals of the Career Transition Program are to:
- increase IMGs’ overall knowledge and awareness of alternative career pathways through a series of employment related workshops
- provide IMGs an opportunity to meet with fellow physicians in alternative careers and to obtain feedback from employment coaches and HR consultants
- equip IMGs with the tools necessary to manage their own career paths
- arrange a 50-hour job shadowing placement in an area participants wish to pursue
Workshops will take place on the Saturdays listed below, from 9:30 am to 2:30 pm. Guest speakers and mentors will be incorporated into these workshops.
Week 1: Saturday, October 5
Week 2: Saturday, October 19
Week 3: Saturday, October 26
Week 4: Saturday, November 2
Week 5: Saturday, November 16
Week 6: Saturday, November 23
Week 7: Saturday, November 30
Week 8: Saturday, December 7
Week 9: Saturday, December 14
Each participant will have two individual coaching sessions to establish a career plan and next steps. Sessions will be conducted by an employment coach or HR specialist throughout the program. The schedule will vary based on the coach/participant’s availability.
Each participant will have the opportunity to complete a 50-hour job shadowing placement to explore an area of interest. Schedules and times will vary and are based on the host/participant’s availability. Placements will start in December 2019 and end in February 2020.
To be considered for the program, participants must meet the following requirements:
- Must be an AIMGA member in good standing
- Must be IRCC eligible (i.e., Permanent Resident)
- Must be able to complete 80% of the program, which is equivalent to two absences
- Must be committed to seeking employment or enrolling in an education program related to their alternative career path within the next six months
This program is funded by IRCC as it aligns with their commitment to support Permanent Residents in Canada. If you are a Canadian citizen interested in the program, we encourage you to apply and we will assess if we can fund your seat via other means.
- September 17:
- Deadline to apply
- September 18 to 24:
- 45-minute interviews will take place via Skype or in-person
- September 26:
- Confirmation emails of acceptance to be sent out
Click here to start completing the application form.